Learn how to make delicious Morir Soñando with this simple recipe! One of the most popular drinks in the Dominican Republic, morir soñando is made from equal parts orange juice and evaporated milk, sugar, vanilla and a hint of lime.
Morir Soñando is a quintessentially Dominican beverage. Whether enjoyed with breakfast or as a refreshing drink, it perfectly complements the flavors of traditional Dominican dishes like mangu and los tres golpes.
Why this recipe works
Morir soñando is proof that it is perfectly ok to mix milk and orange juice! The combination has a sweet, refreshing taste and a creamy, yet delicate texture.
The trick to having success with this recipe is to use cold ingredients and combine them quickly so the mixture doesn’t curdle. Refer to the photos as a guide if you need to!
Frequently asked questions
The literal translation of morir soñando is ‘to die dreaming’. The name basically emphasizes how decadent and u0022dreamyu0022 this popular drink is!
It originated in the Dominican Republic but it’s also popular in the U.S.
Yes, it is perfectly fine as long as you keep the ingredients cold! I strongly suggest chilling the milk and orange juice in the fridge for at least a couple of hours before making this recipe.
Although it’s traditionally a non-alcoholic drink, you can add rum or another liquor of your choice.
Morir soñando is made from the following:
- Orange juice – fresh squeezed or store-bought will both work. If you’re using store-bought, make sure it’s labeled 100% juice.
- Evaporated milk – adds body and depth of flavor, it’s best to chill it in the refrigerator beforehand.
- Granulated sugar – added for sweetness.
- Vanilla extract and 1 or 2 lime wedges to enhance the flavor
- Plenty of ice cubes
Refer to the recipe card for exact measurements and quantities.
Substitutions and variations
Evaporated milk is commonly used in morir soñando, and it’s my personal favorite because of its rich flavor and creaminess. Here are a few substitutes you can make though:
- Use whole milk for a lighter version of morir soñando. Just be careful because regular milk has a tendency to curdle if it’s not cold enough! In my experience it’s best to drink the morir soñando right away when using whole milk.
- For an even thicker, creamier morir soñando, omit the sugar and replace 1 can of the evaporated milk with 1 can of sweetened condensed milk.
- For vegan morir soñando, use a plant-based milk like oat milk almond milk or another plant-based milk of your choice. I personally prefer the creaminess and neutral taste of oat milk!
If you’re looking to store the morir soñando in the fridge for a couple of days, using canned milk is your best bet in terms of storage-life.
You don’t need anything fancy to make this drink! Just a few basics:
- Pitcher or a large spouted mixing bowl
- Long handled spoon or whisk for mixing
- Juicer or squeezer if you’re squeezing your own orange juice
How to make Morir Soñando
Step 1: Start with cold ingredients!
You’ll want to chill your ingredients in the refrigerator for at least a couple of hours before starting. This is important so that the drink doesn’t curdle when you combine the ingredients.
Step 2: Mix the milk and orange juice together
Pour the cold orange juice into a pitcher or bowl. Add a few ice cubes to keep it nice and cold.
Pour the evaporated milk into the pitcher in a slow and steady stream. Whisk quickly as you combine the milk with the orange juice to prevent the mixture from curdling.
Step 3: Add sugar, vanilla extract and lime
Pour in the sugar as you continue to whisk, then add the vanilla extract. Finish off with a squeeze of fresh lime juice and stir a couple more times.
Step 4: Chill and serve
Chill the morir soñando for at least 2 hours, or serve immediately over ice. Garnish with fresh slices of orange or lime and serve immediately!
Morir soñando can be kept in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. Using evaporated milk gives the Morir Soñando a longer shelf-life. If you’re using regular milk, you should drink it right away.
Make sure to shake or stir the refrigerated leftovers before pouring, as the drink can separate as it sits in the refrigerator.
You’ll love these other drink recipes:
Easy Morir Soñando Recipe with Lime (Dominican Drink)
- 4 cups orange juice chilled
- 2 cans evaporated milk chilled
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1-2 lime wedges
- ice for serving
- orange slices or lime wedges for garnish optional
- Chill the orange juice and evaporated milk in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before starting.
- Pour the cold orange juice into the pitcher or bowl, add 2-3 ice cubes and stir to get it nice and cold. Pour the cold evaporated milk in a steady stream and whisk quickly as you combine the milk and orange juice!
- Pour in the sugar as you continue to whisk and then add the vanilla extract and a squeeze of lime. Give the mixture a final stir.
- Chill the morir soñando for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator or serve immediately over ice. Garnish with orange slices or lime wedges (optional).
- Orange juice and milk must be chilled ahead of time for best results. Remove the evaporated milk from cans prior to chilling.
- Whisk quickly to ensure the mixture doesn't curdle
- Leftovers can be stored for 1-2 days in the refrigerator if using canned milk. Morir soñando made with fresh whole milk should be consumed right away.